This week on Wednesday we celebrate Valentine’s Day – a time when we can freely show our affections to those whom we adore. Flowers, poems, chocolates and cards are all brilliant ways to physically manifest the adoration we have for our crushes. Couples will use this occasion to go on dates to romantic restaurants and films at the cinema. Even couples who have been together for ages can use the day as a chance to remind their partners who is still the apple of their eye.
Valentine’s Day can be a bit of a sad reminder for those who are unhappily single at that time. It may be a poke in the ribs to people who are looking for love but have not yet found that special someone. But do not dismay, for we have compiled for you the perfect collection of chat-up lines or pick-up lines. These are the ideal icebreakers or conversation starters that can be used to initiate contact with any person you may feel an attraction to.
Pick-up lines have traditionally always been a tongue-in-cheek way of initiating a conversation with someone while accomplishing many goals simultaneously. They provide a small laugh, start a conversation and somehow also manage to point out the awkwardness and inherent obviousness of what is actually going on – a person is desperate to talk with somebody with whom there is otherwise no reason to talk to except curiosity and attraction.
It is important to appear sweet and harmless and yet funny, charming and interesting to the other person. With all of that said here are some classic well-known chat-up lines. Use them at your own risk!
- I’m new in town could you show me on this map where you live?
- Are you tired …..because you’ve been running through my mind all night?
- Did it hurt? (What?) When you fell from the sky? You’re an angel, aren’t you?
- If I could re-arrange the letters of the alphabet I would put ‘U’ and ‘I’ next to each other.
- Is your dad a terrorist because you’re the bomb?
- I think I’ve seen you somewhere before….oh yes of course…IN MY DREAMS.
- I think you dropped something. (What?) My jaw.
- Are you a parking ticket, because you have FINE written all over you?
- Do you know how much a polar bear weighs? Just enough to break the ice. Hi my name is ___________.
- Is your name Wifi, because I’m really feeling a strong connection?
- Don’t tell me if I can take you out for dinner, just smile for ‘YES” and do a backflip for ‘No’
- Touch my arm. Do you know what it’s made of? Boyfriend material. (or girlfriend material)
- It’s a good thing I have my library card because I’m checking you out.
- You must be a camera because every time I look at you I smile.
- Everything about you must have been made at McDonald’s because “I’m lovin’ it.”
What do you think of our list? Has anyone ever tried to use a cheesy pickup line on you? Let us know in the comments below.
A crush – a short but intense attraction to someone, usually someone who is attainable like a celebrity
To be the apple of someone’s one eye – an idiom meaning ‘the romantic focus of all of one’s attention’, the ideal centre of someone’s love.
Icebreakers / to break the ice – break through the awkwardness in order to initiate contact or a conversation with someone.
Cheesy – kitschy, low calibre, easy, cliched, NOT terribly witty