Welcome back BritIt blog readers! It’s Neil Evans here again to bring you some business English insights and ideas on how to successfully manoeuvre within the corporate sector. I’ve already brought you posts on negotiations, email writing and more. Today, I am blogging about ‘making decisions’ and testing your decisiveness, are you ready? It’s time to decide!
Decision making in the world of business
Making the right decision is extremely important in business. According to an article in The Guardian newspaper some decisions may require you to mull it over while others should be based on gut instinct. Some people are by nature very cautious when making a decision and there are others who take a riskier approach to life. The Dice Man novelist Luke Rhinehart used dice to decide which course of action to take. While this method might be a bit reckless, we all need to jump in at the deep end from time-to-time.
Quiz – how decisive are you ?
Take the quiz below to find out what kind of a decision-maker you are. Have a pen and paper handy while doing the quiz and you will be able to analyse your results afterwards.
How decisive are you? Write yes, no or it depends.
- You’re writing a report. The deadline’s tomorrow, but it’s your partner’s birthday. Do you work late to finish it?
- You’re shopping for a suit, but the one you like costs twice what you intended to pay. Do you buy it anyway?
- A close friend is starting her own business. She asks if she can borrow £5,000. You can afford it. Do you lend the start-up money to her?
- You’re with a really important client who wants to stay out all night. You don’t want to. Do you politely make your excuses and say good night?
- You’re offered twice your current salary to take a boring job in a beautiful city. Do you take it?
- You’re beating your boss at squash and he’s a really sore loser. You could pretend to lose a few points to boost his ego. Do you?
- A friend in banking gives you an investment tip. You could make or lose a lot of money. Do you take the risk?
How decisive are you? Analysing your results
It depends: 5 – 5+ Questions
If you wrote it depends to five or more questions, you are a reflective decision-maker. You take your time thinking things through carefully before coming to a final decision. This is sometimes a good strategy but bear in mind that we live in a rapidly changing world – watch out you don’t take too long to make your mind up!
It depends: 3 – 4 Questions
If you wrote it depends to three to four questions, you are a balanced decision-maker. You don’t waste time agonising over simple decisions, but you don’t rush into things that might have serious consequences either. You are in control of both your head and your heart. But does this mean you never take risks?
It depends: 2 or less questions
If you wrote it depends to two or fewer questions, you are a reflexive decision-maker. You’d rather think fast and make the wrong decision occasionally rather than miss an opportunity. This is often a very important skill for a manager. Just make sure you’re right more often than you’re wrong!
Shakespearian decision maker
This quiz has hopefully set you on the path to the land of decisiveness. If not, it might be worth taking on board some wise words from The Bard: „what’s done is done” (Macbeth – Act III, Scene II) #Shakespeare Lives
to mull it over – to consider something carefully
(to go with your) gut instinct – to make a decision based on intuition or your initial feeling
to jump in at the deep end – to take a risk
a sore loser – a bad loser / someone who doesn’t like losing and shows it
to boost someone’s ego – to make someone feel special or important
to agonise over something – to worry and not be able to stop thinking about something
to take on board – to consider and reflect upon something to possibly change a behaviour